Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Azure Under The Hood – 01 – A New Series

How stuff works
My whole life I want to know ‘how stuff works’. Just hitting a button and use a vacuum cleaner, dish washer, laptop, RC car, mobile or whatever, won’t ‘fly’ with me for a long time. Soon I’ll be prying, investigating and ‘researching’ the WHY something works and based on what principals.

Sure, it has cost me some childhood birthday presents (a radio I once got for my birthday was dismantled within a day and beyond repair…), but I always LEARNED from it. That attitude didn’t change when PCs came into my life, or better my father’s professional life.

Of course, the first months I kept a respectful distance and only used the PC (IBM PS/2) as allowed by my father, all the while keeping a keen eye at the big white case, wondering what magic was happening right there under my nose. So you can imagine how thrilled and happy I was when the PC broke down and the technician had to be called! Somehow my father wasn’t that happy about it…
Personal System 2 Series of Computers.png

I ascertained to be there when the technician came around to fix it. So when he opened the PC case I was just a few inches away, firing of questions, pointing out all the different parts in order to learn as much as possible. The PC got repaired and I learned a lot that day. Some years later I started to assemble my own PCs…

Azure & me
This attitude/curiosity hasn’t really changed over the years. No, I won’t break anything apart anymore in order to try to learn from it. Today there is Google, YouTube, Wikipedia and the lot. Saves me a lot of hassle and money as well. Sure, it takes a lot of the investigation fun away, but keeps me out of trouble as well.

But still. It gnaws at me when I use something without having a deeper understanding of it all. Same goes with Azure. Yes, I know what a computer is, what a network does, what a datacenter is for. But Azure is WAY MORE THAN THAT!

As such I’ve done a lot of investigation. Read a lot of books, online articles, watched many video’s and so on. Simply to gain a deeper understanding of what’s happening under the hood of Azure, or better when you’re clicking around in the Azure portal.

The funny thing is that Microsoft is quite secretive about it. Even towards MVPs they don’t share a lot. And when I found some information, I had to double check it, in order to know for a full 100% that I am not violating any NDA. When in doubt, I don’t share it.

The new series
As a result I’ve collected a lot of interesting non-NDA information all about Azure under the hood, to be shared with you out there. No, it won’t make you (nor me for that matter) an ‘Azure-Under-The-Hood-Expert’, but at least it will give you a better understanding of how Azure works.
Image result for cloud under the hood

In the time to come I’ll share that information. But please feel free to comment and send your own findings. I’ll use that as well and name you as well of course as the source.

See you all next time!

No comments: